The Igreja de Santiago rises on a raised platform above the riverside of Alcácer do Sal, its two bell towers — often topped with stork nests — a landmark of the town's skyline as seen from the Sado.
The church succeeded an earlier chapel of Santiago, and became the seat of the parish of Santiago in 1634. It took its present form in the eighteenth century, by order of King João V in his role as Grand Master of the Order of Santiago. The exterior is sober and restrained, in a plain Mannerist and Baroque manner, reached by a great staircase and marked by a marble portico with a curved, broken pediment.
The restraint of the outside contrasts with the richness within. The single, large nave is fully lined with eighteenth-century blue-and-white azulejos, depicting episodes from the life of the apostle Santiago and of the Virgin Mary, alongside gilded woodwork and chapels of Mannerist and Baroque inspiration.
Destacados
- Eighteenth-century church above the Sado riverside
- Two bell towers, a landmark of the town skyline
- Rebuilt under King João V, Grand Master of the Order
- Sober exterior with a curved marble portico
- Interior fully lined with blue-and-white azulejos
History & context
The Igreja de Santiago succeeded an earlier chapel of Santiago and became the seat of the parish of Santiago in 1634, in the reign of Philip III of Portugal. It took its present form in the eighteenth century, rebuilt by order of King João V as Grand Master of the Order of Santiago. The church is in a sober Mannerist and Baroque style, with a marble portico and a single large nave whose interior is fully lined with eighteenth-century blue-and-white azulejos.
Preguntas frecuentes
What is special about the Igreja de Santiago?
Its sober exterior contrasts with an interior fully lined with eighteenth-century blue-and-white azulejos of the life of Santiago.
When was the church built?
It took its present form in the eighteenth century, rebuilt by order of King João V as Grand Master of the Order of Santiago.
Where is the church?
It stands on a raised platform above the riverside of Alcácer do Sal, its bell towers prominent in the town skyline.
